Zucchini 'Lasagna' Rolls with Basil & Pesto
- Medium bowl
- Shallow boel
- Large pan
- Small baking dish
- Aluminum foil
to taste salt & pepper
1/4 cup panko japanese style breadcrumbs
2 tbsp. biodynamic extra virgin olive oil
1 cup tomato sauceShop this recipe
Preheat the Oven & Prepare the Ingredients
• Preheat the oven to 400° F.
• Mince the garlic and dice the onion.
• Rinse the zucchini and cut away a bit off both ends. Slice the zucchini lengthwise into the thinnest strips possible (¼-inch thick will do!)
• Grate the mozzarella if not pre-shredded.
• In a medium bowl, combine the goat cheese, basil pesto, half of the mozzarella and salt and pepper to taste. Set in the fridge until ready to use.
Create the Zucchini ‘Noodles’
• Crack the egg into a shallow bowl and whisk with a fork.
• Pour the panko/breadcrumbs onto a plate and season with salt and pepper to taste.
• Dip the zucchini strips into the egg and then coat with panko/breadcrumbs.
• Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
• Place the strips on the pan and cook until golden-brown, about 4-5 minutes, flipping halfway through. Set aside on the plate used earlier.
Make the Sauce
• Rinse the pan and return it to the element over medium-high heat.
• Add 1 tbsp. olive oil and the garlic and onion. Cook until tender and fragrant, 2-3 minutes.
• Stir in the tomato sauce and let simmer for another minute or two. Pour half of the sauce into a small baking dish.
Bring It All Together
• Spread some of the cheese/pesto mixture onto each zucchini noodle and then roll them up.
Place the rolled up noodles directly on top of the sauce in the baking dish.
• Pour the remaining sauce on top and sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella (as well as any remaining panko/breadcrumbs, if any).
• Cover with aluminum foil and bake until golden-brown and bubbling, about 15-20 minutes.