Whole Wheat Upside Down Rhubarb Cake
A beautiful rhubarb cake from Quelcy at withthegrains.com! The upside down cake contrasts the tartness of the rhubarb with zesty lemon and almond flavours in a moist, spongey cake.
3-4 stalks rhubarb
2 tablespoons red wine such as cabernet (optional)
3 cups whole wheat cake & pastry flour (soft)
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons almond extract
2 sticks unsalted barrel-churned butter
6 eggs half-dozen small flock delight (large) eggsShop this recipe
1. Preheat oven to 350℉. Line a 9-inch springform cake pan with non-stick parchment paper. Slice rhubarb in halves lengthwise and arrange in the base of the pan.
2. Toss 1/2 cup sugar over the stalks and drizzle with the red wine.
3. In a medium bowl, sift the flour with the baking powder, salt and lemon zest. In a small bowl, combine buttermilk, wine, vanilla and almond extract.
4. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then beat in the flour and milk mixtures, alternating between three additions of the flour and two additions of the milk.
5. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, gently level with a spatula. Note: You can fill the cake pan about 3/4 full. There may be some extra batter, which you can use to make a few cupcakes, or a small cake.
6. Bake until top is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean–roughly 40-50 minutes (start checking at 30).
7. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then invert carefully onto a plate, and place on a rack to cool completely. Note: There will be juices on the bottom of the pan, so use caution when inverting the cake.