Vegan Pesto Parmesan Breadsticks
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 packet (~2 1/4 tsp) active dry yeast
1 tablespoon golden cane sugar (turbinado)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 1/2 - 3 cups all purpose gluten-free flour
2 cups living basil
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon pure lemon juiceShop this recipe
To make the pesto:
Add basil, walnuts, 1/2 cup olive oil, garlic, 3 tbsp. Parmesan, lemon juice and salt & pepper to a food processor and mix until combined, leaving a little texture. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Store covered in the fridge for up to a couple weeks, though best when fresh. Freeze for longer term storage.
For the breadsticks:
1. Add 1 cup warm water – 110 degrees, or about the temp of bath water – to a large mixing bowl. Make sure it’s not too hot or it will kill the yeast. Sprinkle on yeast and let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the sugar, 2 tbsp. oil, salt and stir. Using a wooden spoon, slowly add the flour and mix until a dough ball forms. You may not be able to add all 3 cups of flour, so add a little at a time until it won’t accept anymore. You will likely add in more while kneading.
3. Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and knead by hand for 30 seconds to 1 inure, or until a smooth ball comes together.
4. Wipe out your mixing bowl and add a bit of olive oil. Add dough back in, flipping a couple times to cover with oil, leaving the seam side down. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place for about an hour. The dough should double in size.
5. Cut the dough in half. Reserve one half for later use. Will freeze for up to 3 months, or stay in the fridge for a few days. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
6. On a floured surface, roll the remaining half of the dough out into a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick. Carefully transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet, reforming it into a rectangle.
7. Leaving the edges bare, generously brush with vegan pesto and top with an even layer of vegan parmesan cheese (4 tbsp). You could also add a handful of vegan mozzarella if you wish, such as Daiya shreds. In place of the pesto, you could also sub red sauce.
8. Bake in a 450 degree oven for 11 – 13 minutes or until the crust and cheese are golden brown. Slice and serve immediately.