We are all about easy and delicious recipes here, that's why we've been loving this Vegan Cassoulet made in a cast-iron skillet! Traditionally, this French dish is made with meat, but we decided to develop our own hearty vegan spin on it. We pack ours with a variety of organic veggies including portobello mushrooms, zucchini, onion, and beans. It's flavoured with thyme, parsley sprigs, and bay leaf. For a satisfying crunch, we sprinkle it with a layer of breadcrumbs and cook until golden! If you do try this, tag us with the #FreshCityCooks hashtag, we love to see your creations!
5 cloves garlic
4 sprigs thyme
1 bay leaf
6 ounces mushrooms, portabello
1/4 cup olive oil, bioharvest
1 can beans, cannellini canned
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 1/2 cups broth, vegetable low sodium
4 cups breadcrumbs
To season salt, kosher
To season black pepperShop this recipe
1 small onion
2 large onions
5 cloves of garlic
2 sprigs of parsley
4 sprigs of thyme
1 bay leaf
6 ounces of portobello mushrooms
1/4 cup olive oil
1 can cannellini beans
2 tbsps of tomato paste
1 1/2 cups of vegatable broth
4 cups fresh breadcrumbs or panko crumbs
Kosher salt, for seasoning
Black pepper, for seasoning
1. Peel and thinly slice the 2 large onions. Peel the small onion and prick with cloves.
2. Remove the ends of the zucchini. Cut the zucchini lengthwise and halve them, slice into bite-sized triangles. Peel and mince all of the garlic cloves. Remove the stems of the portobello mushrooms. Chop into bite-sized triangles.
3. Heat half the oil in a large cast-iron skillet. Add the sliced onions, sauté until blonde, about 10 minutes. Add 1/2 of the minced garlic and sauté for another 2 minutes.
4. Add the mushrooms and cook for 4 minutes. Add the zucchini and cook for 2 minutes. Season with salt. Add the thyme, parsley, and bay leaf.
5. Add the tomato paste. Add the vegetable broth and give everything a good stir. Add the onion with the cloves and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the beans. Remove the small onion, thyme, parsley, and bay leaf.
6. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs evenly all over. Season with salt and add the remaining minced garlic. Roughly cut parsley over the bread crumbs. Drizzle remaining olive oil on top.
7. Top with freshly cracked black pepper, bake in the oven at 375 F for 5-8 minutes, until golden brown.