Vegan Caesar Salad with 'Parm' Crisps
This Vegan Caesar Salad with ‘Parm’ Crisps by blogger Jamie Lee Mock is a nod to the classic while packing in the nutrients and keeping it free of animal products. The ‘Parm’ crisps are created using a mixture of sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, nutritional yeast and lemon providing the crunch you crave while keeping it high in omega-3, iron, zinc and antioxidants.
1/4 cup shelled sunflower seeds
1/4 cup brown flax seeds
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons soy mayonnaiseShop this recipe
1. Preheat oven to 300˚F. In a blender, mix the raw sunflower and pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, 3 tbsp. lemon juice, nutritional yeast and a pinch of sea salt until fully combined. The dough will be very thick, like cookie batter.
2. Roll out the vegan 'parmesan' dough between two sheets of parchment paper until it's as thin as possible. Remove the top of the parchment and place the bottom sheet with the dough on a baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour. Remove from the oven and the parchment paper. Break into chunks and place directly on a baking sheet. Return to oven for another 20 minutes, or until crisp.
3. In the meantime, prepare the tempeh. Cut into squares and lightly drizzle with olive oil. Place on a baking sheet and cook in the oven for about 15 minutes, flipping halfway through.
4. Mix the dressing by putting the soy mayo, dijon, 6 tablespoons lemon juice, minced garlic, olive oil, and salt and pepper in a glass jar. Shake vigorously to combine.
5. Add the washed and hand-torn pieces of romaine to a bowl. Add dressing, cooled tempeh and the 'parmesan crisps', serve!