This Jamie Oliver inspired recipe is a fantastic way to showcase the fresh flavour and vibrant colours of heirloom tomatoes. And with cooler (dare I say, fall) days ahead, there’s nothing more comforting than a bowl of tomato soup and a grilled cheese. I know it seems a little indulgent to add cream and egg yolks to the soup, but they add a lovely richness that complements the tomatoes sweet acidity, so give it try. Tomatoes are good for the heart, so they’ll combat that cholesterol like nobody’s business!
1 small white onions, peeled and finely chopped
1 handful basil, leaved picked and stalks finely chopped
1.5 lbs whole ontario tomatoes
.75 litre vegetable stock
6 tablespoons double cream whisked
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
2 egg yolks
0 extra virgin olive oil
0 salt and freshly ground black pepperShop this recipe
1. Put your onion, garlic, carrot and basil stalks into a large pot with a couple of lugs of olive oil.
2. Cover the pan, and simmer gently without colouring for 20 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes.
3. Whisk together the cream, vinegar and egg yolks in a small bowl and put to one side. Add the tomatoes to the vegetables, then pour in the stock and simmer for a further 20 minutes with the lid on.
4. At this point it's nice to purée the soup using either a food processor, a liquidizer or a hand-held blender, but be careful as it will be hot.
5. Once you've puréed the soup, put it back into the pan, bring it back to a simmer, and season very carefully with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
6. Just before serving, whisk in the cream mixture (don’t reboil it after adding the egg yolks or it will scramble) and serve straight away, sprinkled with a few torn-up basil leaves, if you like.