Tomato Shakshuka with Seasonal Greens & Grilled Pita
- Large pan with a lid
- Medium pan
1 cup spinach, bunched
1 1/2 teaspoons chili spice mix (chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, sugar, paprika)
to taste salt & pepperShop this recipe
Prepare the Ingredients
• Rinse and quarter the grape tomatoes.
• Rinse and roughly chop the leafy greens.
• Rinse and dice the bell pepper.
• Dice the onion and mince the garlic.
Make the Shakshuka
• Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
• Add the onion and cook until tender and fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
• Stir in the tomato paste, bell pepper, garlic, Chili Spice Mix, tomato paste, water and salt and pepper to taste.
• Cook, covered, until the mixture thickens slightly and is stew-like, 8-10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
• Stir in the leafy greens, cover and cook 1-2 minutes.
• Crack the eggs directly onto the tomato mixture in separate spots. Cook, uncovered, until the egg whites start to set, about 5 minutes. Top with crumbled feta and continue to cook until the egg whites are fully set and the yolks are at your desired doneness, about 2 minutes.
Grill the Pita
• In the meantime, heat a medium pan over medium-high heat. Cut the pitas in half.
• Spread each pita half with some butter.
• Place the pita on the pan and grill until lightly toasted, about 1-2 minutes per side.
Bring It All Together
• Rinse and roughly chop the cilantro.
• Evenly divide the Shakshuka between two plates.
• Top with cilantro and serve with grilled pita!