Tomato Barley Arancini with Sauteed Zucchini & Marinara
- Small pot
- Medium pan
- Baking sheet
- Blender/food processor
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes
1 3/4 cups + 2 tbsp. water
1/4 cup olive oilShop this recipe
Prepare the Ingredients
• Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Dice the sun-dried tomatoes.
• Rinse and thinly slice the kale.
• Add the barley and 1 ¾ cups water to a small pot. Bring to boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to simmer and cook, covered, until tender and water is absorbed, 30 minutes.
• Remove the barley from heat and stir in the sun-dried tomatoes, Italian Spice Mix, kale, and salt and pepper to taste. Let cool slightly before handling.
Sauté the Zucchini
• In the meantime, rinse and thinly slice the zucchini.
• Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a medium pan over medium heat. Add the zucchini and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and releasing juices, about 5 minutes.
Bake the Arancini
• Grate the Parmesan. Add it, and the egg, to the pot with the barley mixture. Stir until well combined.
• Using clean hands, form the mixture into 2-inch balls.
• Coat them in panko/breadcrumbs and then place them on a baking sheet.
• Drizzle the arancini with 2 tbsp. olive oil and bake in the oven for 8 minutes. Flip the balls and return to the oven until golden-brown all over, about 8 minutes.
Make the Marinara
• While the arancini bakes, make the marinara.
• Rinse the tomato and basil. Mince the garlic.
• Add the tomato, basil, garlic and 1 tbsp. olive oil to the blender/food processor and blend until smooth.
• Rinse the small pot used earlier and pour the marinara into it. Place over medium-low heat and cookuntil heated through, 2-3 minutes.
Bring It All Together
• Evenly divide the sautéed zucchini between two plates.
• Top with arancini and drizzle with the fresh marinara sauce to serve!