Sweet Potato Lentil Dhal with Grilled Naan & Spinach
- Large pot
- Medium pan
1 cup spinach, bunched
1 1/4 tbsp. indian spice (cumin, turmeric, ginger, garam masala)Shop this recipe
Cook the Lentils
- Rinse the lentils in a sieve and place them in a large pot with 2 cups of water over medium-high heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the water is boiling, reduce the heat to simmer. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
Make the Dhal
- Rinse the sweet potato, tomato, spinach and cilantro. Cut the sweet potato into ½-inch cubes. Dice the tomato and onion, and roughly chop the spinach and cilantro. Set aside.
- Add the sweet potato, onion, garlic and Indian spices to the pot with the lentils and stir to combine. Let simmer for 5 minutes or until the spices are aromatic.
- Add the diced tomato and coconut milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste, stir, cover, and let simmer for another 10 minutes. Finally, add the spinach and stir to incorporate. Cook until the spinach is wilted, 2-3 minutes. Turn off the heat and set aside.
Grill the Naan
- While the Dhal simmers, grill the naan. Place a medium pan over medium heat. Butter one side of each naan with ½ tbsp. butter.
- When the pan is hot, add the naan, butter side down, and grill until crispy and browned, 1-2 minutes per side.
Bring It All Together
- Evenly divide the dhal between two bowls and garnish with fresh cilantro. Serve with grilled naan for dipping!