Sweet Potato Egg Muffins with Root Vegetable Fritters
- Baking sheet
- Aluminum foil
- Large bowl
- Latge pan
- Paper towel
2 tsp. tuscan spice mix (sage, garlic powder, rosemary)
6 half-dozen small flock's delight (small) eggs
1/2 cup all-purpose unbleached spelt flour
2 classic gourmet burger buns
To taste salt & pepperShop this recipe
Cook the Sweet Potato
- Rinse the sweet potato and cut away any blemishes. Cut the sweet potato into 1/2 inch thick rounds.
- Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the sweet potato rounds and cook for 8-10 minutes, flipping halfway through. Season with salt and pepper to taste, remove from the pan and set aside.
Make the Fritters
- Rinse the root vegetables, trim away the ends, and shred them using a cheese grater. Mince the fresh herbs.
- Add the root veggie shreds, fresh herbs, 2 eggs, flour, and salt and pepper to taste in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil over medium-high heat in the same large pan used earlier.
- Form the mixture into 1/2 cup sized fritters. Place the fritters on the pan and press them into 1/2 inch thick patties with a spatula. Cook until golden-brown, about 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel to cool.
Fry the Eggs and Toast the Buns
- Return the pan to the element and heat 1 tbsp. olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Carefully crack the remaining eggs into the pan and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 3-4 minutes, flipping halfway through. The eggs are done when the whites have set, and the yolks are semi-soft (or to your liking). Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Cut the buns in half and add them to the pan, cut side down. Lightly toast for 2 minutes.
- Rinse and dry the kale, and remove the leaves from the stem. Carefully wilt the kale in the same pan. Remove from the pan when bright green, about 1-2 minutes.
Bring It All Together
- Grate the cheddar cheese.
- From bottom to top, assemble your muffins: bottom bun slice, shredded cheese, wilted kale, sweet potato slices, egg, top bun slice. Serve with root vegetable fritters on the side!