Sweet Potato Chakalaka with Carrots, Beans & Rice
- Small pot
- Large pan
3 cups water
To taste salt & pepper
1 tbsp. fresh city's curried spice mix (curry powder, cumin, coriander, cinnamon)
3 tbsp. creamy peanut butter
½ cup navy beansShop this recipe
Make the Rice
• Rinse the rice in a fine sieve and add it to a small pot with 1 ¼ cups water and a pinch of salt. Bring to boil.
• Once boiling, reduce heat to simmer and cook, covered, until rice is tender and water is absorbed, about 10-15 minutes. Set aside.
Prepare the Veggies
• While the rice is cooking, rinse and dice the carrots, sweet potato, bell pepper and tomato.
• Dice the onion and mince the garlic and ginger.
Cook the Chakalaka
• Heat the olive oil in a large ppt over medium heat.
• Add the onion and cook until tender and fragrant, about 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, Curried Spice Mix, sweet potato and carrots. Cook for another 3-4 minutes.
• Add the bell pepper, tomato, peanut butter and 1 ½ cups water. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
• Simmer, covered, over medium heat for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the navy beans. Cook for about another 5 minutes.
Bring It All Together
• Roughly chop the nuts.
• Remove the Chakalaka from heat.
• Evenly divide the rice between two bowls or plates and top each with Chakalaka.
• Garnish with nuts to serve!