Stuffed Peppers with Black Beans & Rice
These Mexican inspired Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers by blogger Lou Clements are a savoury and satisfying way to eat vegetarian. They are incredibly flavourful and the cooked organic peppers provide a sweet and tender component to the meal. This is a fragrant comfort dish, and the colours of the organic bell peppers make them as beautiful as they are delicious.
1/4 cup long grain brown rice
1/2 cup chipotle salsa, medium
1 tablespoon ontario hot sauce
1/4 cup ruby sauerkrautShop this recipe
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Prep the peppers by washing them and cutting off the tops. Remove the membrane and seeds, set aside.
3. Next, drain and rinse the black beans. Shred the cheddar cheese.
4. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the filling ingredients - add the uncooked rice, black beans, salsa, shredded cheese, hot sauce, chili powder, cumin and sauerkraut.
5. Spoon the filling into the bell peppers and place on a baking dish. Put the tops of the peppers back on and cook for 30-35 minutes, or until the filling is cooked and the rice is soft.
Chef's Note: have some other veggies kickin' around in the fridge? Feel free to add those to the stuffed pepper filling! Some great additions are: onions, tomatoes, kale, spinach, garlic, mushrooms, and more!