Stuffed Bell Peppers with Black Beans & Rice
- Small pot
- Medium baking dish
- Aluminum foil
1¼ cup water
To taste salt & pepper
2 pepper, green bell
½ cup canned black beans
1 tbsp. fresh city's chili spice mix (chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, sugar, paprika)Shop this recipe
Preheat the Oven & Make the Rice
• Preheat the oven to 375°F.
• Rinse the rice in a fine sieve and add it to a small pot with 1 ¼ cups water and a pinch of salt. Bring to boil.
• Once boiling, reduce the heat to simmer and cook, covered, until the rice is tender and the water is asborbed, about 10-15 minutes.
Prepare the Remaining Ingredients
• In the meantime, dice the onion.
• Rinse the bell peppers and cut off their tops. Remove the inner membranes + seeds and set aside.
• Grate the cheddar cheese, if not pre-shredded.
• Rinse the black beans in a colander in the sink.
Pre-Bake the Bell Peppers
• Pour just enough water (about 1 cup) to cover the bottom of your medium baking dish.
• Add the bell peppers, tops on, to the baking dish and cover with aluminum foil. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
Prepare the Filling
• In the meantime, stir the onion, black beans, Chili Spice Mix and half of the pico de gallo salsa into the pot with the rice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Bring It All Together
• Carefully remove the bell pepper tops and spoon some of the filling into each pepper until fully stuffed!
• Sprinkle with cheese and then put the tops back on.
• Return the stuffed peppers to the oven and bake, uncovered, until the peppers are softened, the filling is hot, and the cheese is melted, about 15-20 minutes. • Evenly divide the peppers between two plates and top with the remaining pico de gallo salsa to serve!