Streuseled Acorn Squash Muffins
Perfect bits of fall in every bite. Perfect, cozy, pretty, drink coffee and read a book of muffins. Dig in.
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon whole cloves, ground
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugarShop this recipe
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tin with liners and set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. Set aside.
3. In another mixing bowl, whisk together the egg, sugars and oil. Stir in the squash, banana, milk, and vanilla extract until fully incorporated. Pour the dry mixture into the wet mixture and stir until just combined.
4. Pour the batter into the liners and fill each about 2/3 full.
5. For the streusel: Combine the 2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small cubes, 1/3 cup granulated sugar and 1/4 cup all purpose flour in a small mixing bowl and cut together, using a pastry knife or he back of a fork. (the end result should have a very fine, grainy texture)
6. Sprinkle a generous amount of streusel over the top of each muffin, about 2 tablespoons.
7. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the muffins.
8. Allow to cool for about 20 minutes before serving.