Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie Squares
For the Filling:
2 cups sliced strawberries (can be frozen)
1 1/2 cups sliced rhubarb (can be frozen)
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon chia seeds
For the Crust:
3 tablespoons chia seeds, divided
3 tablespoons warm water
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup brown sugar (coconut sugar or sucanant works, too)
1 stick butter, melted (vegan butter is fine)
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons milk (dairy or unsweetened non-dairy are both fine)
3 tbsp. warm water
1½ cups rolled oats
½ tsp. canadian sea salt
1 stick butter or vegan butter
2 tbsp. milk or dairy-free milkShop this recipe
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 9” x 13” baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Prepare the filling by adding all filling ingredients to a medium-sized saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently, or until sauce has thickened slightly. Remove from heat and set aside to cool while you prepare the crust.
- Prepare the crust by mixing 1 tablespoon chia seeds and warm water in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, flour, baking soda, kosher salt and brown sugar. Add in the melted butter, maple syrup, milk, and chia seed/water mixture. Stir until well incorporated.
- Remove 2/3 cup of the mixture, and reserve for topping the squares. Spread remaining crust mixture into the prepared pan. Flatten with wet hands or using the bottom of a flat measuring cup. Set pan aside.
- Spread cooled filling evenly over crust, using a spatula to spread into one even layer, if necessary. Sprinkle reserved crust mixture over top of bars, and then sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons chia seeds on top of bars.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the crust is well-browned. Let cool completely (about an hour) before slicing and removing from pan.