Strawberry Rhubarb Galette
Watch the video recipe
1 cup strawberriesShop this recipe
- • Pastry can be made 1 day prior to baking. Wrap the rolled out dough on the sheet pan until well covered and set in the fridge overnight.
- • The filling can be made 1 day prior. Prepare the fruit and mix with sugar. Cover the bowl and set in the fridge.
Ingredients for the Pastry
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold and cut into dice size cubes
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 1 egg beaten, for the egg wash
Ingredients for the Frangipane
- 1/2 cup almond flour (or finely ground almonds)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- pinch of kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons butter at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 egg
Ingredients for the Filling
- 3-4 stalks rhubarb stalks
- 1 cup strawberries, washed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
Make the pastry:
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, and salt together.
- Add the cold dice sized butter cubes and pinch and snap lightly with your fingertips until butter is the size of peas (do your best not to let the butter melt in your hands).
- Add the ice water and mix a little more until the mixture is crumbly.
- Lay plastic wrap on a work surface.
- Place the crumbled pastry dough onto a large sheet of plastic wrap.
- Press the dough into a ball and wrap. Set the dough ball aside in the fridge until ready to use.
- On a clean work surface, place a piece of parchment paper cut to 14” x 14”.
- Dust the parchment paper with flour and roll out the dough into a 12” round.
- Sprinkle with more flour as needed to prevent from sticking.
- Transfer the dough and parchment paper to a sheet pan.
- Place the sheet pan with the rolled out dough into the fridge to set for 30 minutes.
- With a rack set in the centre of the oven, preheat the oven to 400°F.
Prepare the filling:
- Remove the stems from the strawberries and thinly slice.
- Cut the rhubarb 1 1/2” in length. Slice in half lengthwise.
- In a large bowl, toss the rhubarb and strawberries with the sugar and set aside.
Make the frangipane:
- In a mixing bowl, combine almond flour, sugar, salt, butter, egg, and vanilla.
- Purée until smooth.
Make the galette:
- Spoon the frangipane into the centre of the rolled out dough, leaving a 1-inch border.
- Place the strawberries on top of the frangipane, followed by the rhubarb.
- Spread everything out to cover.
- Using the parchment paper as an aid, fold the exposed edge of dough towards the centre to make a rustic enclosure.
- Brush the edge of the dough with egg wash.
- Bake in the centre rack for 35 minutes or until golden.
- Remove the sheet pan from the oven and let rest on cooling rack for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with ice cream (optional).
TIP: Rhubarb is known to be an excellent digestive aid. In fact, rhubarb was once a winter necessity for Canadian fur traders at risk of dying from indisposition due to a fibre-less diet dominated by fish and red meat. Rhubarb is one of the first fresh foods available in early spring and can be enjoyed for not only it’s flavour but it’s health benefits too.