Spring Pea & Carrot Salad with Carrot Top Pesto
Doesn't this salad just seem like something the Easter bunny would love?
¼ cup toasted pine nuts pistachios almonds or pumpkin/sunflower seeds)
½ cup delicate extra-virgin olive oil, small
1 pinch red pepper flakes
To taste salt
1 piece loaf ciabatta or sourdough french bread (torn into bite size)
2 tbsp. delicate extra-virgin olive oil, small
to taste salt & pepper
handful parsley or mint
8 oz. (omit if vegan) goat feta
2 cups snap peas
½ cup organic sprouts, micro basilShop this recipe
Carrot Top Pesto Directions:
- In the bowl of a food processor or high powered blender, combine the carrot top greens, basil and pine nuts.
- Pulse until finely chopped. With the machine still running, drizzle in the olive oil.
- Add the parmesan, a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes and season with salt.
- Taste and add more salt if needed. Pour into a glass jar and keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
Pea and Carrot Salad Directions:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- On a large baking sheet, toss the torn bread with the olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper until all the bread is evenly and well coated.
- Place in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes, tossing half way through until the bread is golden and toasted.
- Meanwhile in a large salad bowl, toss together the carrot ribbons, snap peas, watercress or spinach, and fresh herbs. Add a couple tablespoons of the pesto sauce and toss once more, making sure to evenly coat the veggies.
- Add the toasted bread and sprinkle on the feta cheese. Serve with the remaining carrot top pesto.
*This salad can be assembled up to 1 day in advance. Just add the watercress, herbs and toasted bread just before serving so they do not wilt/get soggy. You can choose to toss the salad with the pesto and let it sit in the fridge and marinate (which I think is delish) OR you can add the pesto just before serving.