Spring Asparagus Couscous with Lemon & Toasted Hazelnuts
- Small bowl
- Medium pot
- Large pan
1/2 lb. asparagus
6 oz. peas, snow
3/4 cup couscous
1 1/4 cup water
1 tbsp. vegan butter
to taste salt & pepper
1/4 cup hazelnutsShop this recipe
Prepare the Ingredients:
• Rinse the asparagus and trim ½-inch from the base, then cut the remaining spears into 1-inch pieces.
• Rinse and dice the green onions.
• Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice into a small bowl, removing any seeds. Using the fine side of a grater, grate some of the lemon peel (‘zest’) – you will want about 1 tbsp. of lemon zest.
• If using shelling peas, de-shell the peas. Rinse the peas.
• Mince the garlic.
Make the Couscous
• Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat.
• Add the couscous and season with salt & pepper to taste.
• Sauteé until couscous is golden-brown, 4-5 minutes.
• Add the water and vegetable bouillon. Increase the heat to medium-high to bring to boil.
• Once boiling, turn off the heat and cover. The couscous should absorb the water in about 8 minutes.
• Stir in the vegan butter.
Cook the Veggies & Toast the Hazelnuts
• In the meantime, heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
• Add the asparagus and peas, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until tender-crisp, about 5-6 minutes.
• Transfer to the pot with the couscous and return the pan to the element.
• Add the hazelnuts to the pan over medium-high heat and cook, stirring, until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
Bring It All Together
• Add 1 tbsp. olive oil, the minced garlic, lemon zest, and salt and pepper to taste to the small bowl with the lemon juice. Whisk with a fork to combine.
• Evenly divide the couscous and veggies between two bowls or plates. Drizzle with the lemon juice mixture and sprinkle with toasted hazelnuts.
• Garnish with green onions to serve!