Spinach & Feta Barley with Parsley, Almonds & Raisins
- Medium pot
- Large pan
- Small bowl
2 cups water
to taste salt & pepper
1½ tsp. fresh city's warming spice mix (ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, turmeric, sugar)
1 tbsp. biodynamic extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup goat fetaShop this recipe
Make the Barley
• Add the barley and 2 cups water to a medium pot with a pinch of salt and bring to boil.
• Once boiling, reduce heat to simmer and cook, covered, until barley is tender and the water is absorbed, about 30 minutes.
• Remove the barley from heat and stir in the raisins, Warming Spice Mix, and salt and pepper to taste.
Cook the Veggies
• In the meantime, heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
• Dice the onion and mince the garlic.
• Rinse and dice the bell pepper.
• Rinse the chickpeas in a colander in the sink.
• Add the onion, garlic, and bell pepper to the pan.
• Cook until tender and fragrant, 2-3 minutes.
• Rinse and roughly chop the spinach and add it to the pan, along with the chickpeas. Cook until the spinach is slightly wilted and bright green, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
Prepare the Remaining Ingredients
• Using the fine side of a grater, ‘zest’ (grate) the lemon peel until you have about 1 tbsp. of zest.
• Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice into a small bowl, removing any seeds.
• Rinse and roughly chop the parsley.
• Crush the almonds with the broad side of a knife.
Bring It All Together
• Add the cooked veggies, lemon juice, lemon zest, and feta to the pot with the barley, and mix well.
• Evenly divide the mixture between two bowls.
• Top with crushed almonds and garnish with parsley to serve!