Sparkling Rhubarb Lemonade
Take advantage of rhubarb's short season with this tasty and refreshing Sparkling Rhubarb Lemonade from The Runaway Spoon at Food 52. Homemade lemonade is always a treat, and this lovely pink version with the surprising flavor of rhubarb and brightness of fresh mint is sure to impress!
2 cups lemon-lime soda or sparkling water
4 cups rhubarb
4 cups waterShop this recipe
1. Using a grater, grate (zest) one lemon's peel until you have about 1 tablespoons of zest.
2. In a saucepan, stir together the water, rhubarb, sugar, lemon zest and half of the mint. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
3. While the rhubarb mixture is simmering, juice the lemons, and remove any seeds.
4. Let the rhubarb mixture cool, then strain it through a wire-mesh strainer set over a large pitcher. Press on the solids to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard the solids.
5. Stir in the lemon juice and soda. Serve over ice, garnished with the remaining sprigs of mint.