Sauteed Fiddleheads, Tomatoes and Fresh Herbs
- Medium pot
.5 lb fiddleheads (do not eat raw)
1 cup grape tomatoes
optional garnish fresh herbsShop this recipe
Prepare and Wash the Fiddleheads
- Using your fingers, remove as much of the brown papry husk on the fiddlehead as possible.
- Wash the fiddleheads in several changes of fresh, cold water to remove any husk or dirt.
Cook the Fiddleheads & Saute the Vegetables
- Cook the fiddleheads in a medium pot of boiling water for 15 minutes, or steam them for 12 minutes until tender. Discard the water, do not reuse.
- Chop the tomatoes. Dice the onions.
- Heat oil in a saucepan on medium high. Add the fiddleheads and garlic, saute for 4-5 minutes.
- Turn the burner on low once fiddleheads are slightly browned around the edges.
- Add the onions, tomatoes, and salt & pepper to taste. Saute mixture for 3 minutes.
Bring It All Together
- Divide evenly, toss with fresh herbs (optional), and enjoy.
For preserving and freezing methods + health risks of fiddleheads please view the Canada food safety recommendations.