Sausage Jambalaya with Celery & Bell Pepper
- Large pot
1 pepper, green bell
1 yellow onion (single)
10-12 oz. mild beef sausage
to taste salt and pepper
1 tbsp. italian spice mix (italian seasoning, thyme, onion powder, paprika)
3 cups water
2 tbsp. ontario tomato pasteShop this recipe
Prepare the Ingredients
• Rinse and finely dice the bell pepper, celery, and grape tomatoes.
• Rinse and roughly chop the parsley.
• Dice the onion and mince the garlic.
• Remove the sausage(s) from the casing(s) by first making a lengthwise slit with a knife, then peeling the casing off the meat. Cut the sausages into 1-inch pieces.
Cook the Veggies & Sausage
• Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
• Stir in the onion, garlic, celery, and bell pepper.
• Cook until the veggies are tender-crisp and fragrant, about 5-6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
• Stir in the sausage pieces and Italian Spice Mix. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
• Stir in the rice and let it ‘toast’ for a minute or two.
Simmer the Jambalaya
• Add the grape tomatoes, 3 cups of water and the tomato paste to the pot. Give everything a stir.
• Increase the heat to high to bring to boil.
• Once boiling, reduce the heat to simmer and cook, covered, until the rice and sausage are cooked through and the mixture has thickened, about 15 minutes. Stir the mixture occasionally.
Bring It All Together
• Remove the pot from heat and evenly divide the Jambalaya between two bowls or plates.
• Garnish with parsley to serve!