Rutabaga & Mushroom Pizza with Ginger-Roasted Pears & Arugula
- Vegetable peeler
- Medium pot
- Medium bowl
- Baking sheet
To taste salt & pepper
2 tsp. tuscan spice mix (sage, rosemary, garlic powder)
¼ cup biodynamic extra virgin olive oil
½ tsp. golden cane sugar (turbinado)Shop this recipe
Preheat the Oven & Mash the Rutabaga
• Preheat the oven to 400°F. Take the ball of pizza dough out of the fridge and let is rise in the bag.
• Rinse and peel the rutabaga. Chop it into 1-inch pieces.
• Add to a medium pot and fill with enough water to cover the rutabaga. Add a pinch of salt and bring to boil. Boil until fork-tender, about 20 minutes.
• Drain the rutabaga in a colander in the sink and return to the pot with the Tuscan Spice Mix, and salt and pepper to taste. Use a fork to mash it into a coarse mixture.
Roast the Pears
• While the rutabaga boils, rinse the pear and cut it into ¼-inch thick slices. Mince the ginger.
• In a medium bowl, combine 1 tbsp. olive oil, ginger, sugar, and pear slices. Toss to thoroughly coat and then pour the mixture onto a baking sheet.
• Roast in the oven until tender and releasing juices, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer to a plate.
• Increase the oven temperature to 500°F.
Prepare the Dough
• To prepare the dough, stretch it in your hands starting from the center and then moving it around in a circle so that gravity stretches it out. Set the dough down on a work surface and stretch it with your fingers until it is your desired thickness. The dough will thicken as it bakes, so you may want to stretch it more than you think.
• Grease the baking sheet with 2 tbsp. olive oil and transfer the dough to the sheet. Bake for about 2 minutes, until the dough starts to bubble. Remove from oven and brush with 1 tbsp. olive oil.
Bring It All Together
• Wipe and slice the mushrooms. Rinse the arugula/spinach.
• Spread the rutabaga mash evenly across the surface of the dough and top with mushrooms, pears, and goat cheese.
• Return to the oven and bake until the crust is golden-brown and slightly crispy, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from oven.
• Top the pizza with arugula/spinach and carefully cut it into slices. Evenly divide between two plates to serve!