Root Veggie Shepherd’s Pie with Mushroom Gravy
- Medium pot
- Potato masher or fork
- Baking dish
- Large pot
- Small bowl
4 cups water
2 tbsp. all purpose gluten-free flour
1 /2 cup gravy mix (nutritional yeast, cornstarch, italian seasoning, thyme)Shop this recipe
Preheat the Oven & Boil the Potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and grease a baking dish with 1 tbsp. olive oil.
- Rinse, scrub and dice the potatoes into 1-inch pieces. Add them to a medium pot filled with water and a pinch of salt. Place the pot over high heat and bring to boil. Cook for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Drain in a colander and return to the pot. Use a masher or fork to mash the potatoes until smooth. Stir in the butter and season generously with salt and pepper. Loosely cover and set aside.
Prepare the Filling & Broth
- While the potatoes are boiling, rinse the carrots and parsnips and cut them into ½-inch pieces. Mince the garlic and dice the onion.
- Place a large pot over medium-high heat and add 4 cups of water and the veggie bouillon cube. Let the water simmer, stirring occasionally, until the cube dissolves, about 3-4 minutes. Pour ¾ cup of veggie broth into a small bowl and set aside. Return the pot to the element.
- Add the garlic, onion, carrots, parsnips, lentils, and dried herbs to the pot. Season generously with salt and pepper and stir. Bring the mixture to boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir the mixture continuously for another 5 minutes, or until it has thickened slightly.
Assemble & Bake the Shepherd’s Pie
- Pour the veggie and lentil mixture into your greased baking dish. Top with the mashed potatoes, using a fork to evenly smooth them down.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the potatoes are lightly browned on top.
Bring It All Together
- In the meantime, pour the reserved veggie broth into your large pot, and place over medium-high heat.
- Roughly slice the mushrooms and add them to the pot. Add the tamari and dry gravy mix, and bring to simmer. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly, or until the mixture has thickened. Remove from heat.
- Remove the Shepherd's Pie from the oven and let cool slightly before serving with the mushroom gravy!