Root Vegetable Tagine with Chickpeas & Quinoa
1 tablespoon moroccan spice mix (cumin, ginger, coriander, cinnamon, turmeric)
to taste, salt & pepper
3 cups waterShop this recipe
Prepare the Ingredients
- Rinse the carrots, sweet potato, turnip and parsley. Rinse the chickpeas in a colander and set aside.
- Mince the garlic and ginger, and dice the onion. Remove the ends of the carrots, sweet potato and turnip, and cut away any blemishes with a knife.
- Dice the sweet potato, turnip and carrots by first cutting them in half lengthwise, then cutting those halves intro strips, and finally dicing the strips into ½-inch pieces.
Cook the Tagine
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until softened, about 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, and salt and pepper to taste. Add the Moroccan spice and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the carrots, sweet potato, turnip, diced tomatoes and 1 ½ cups of water and bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer until the veggies are tender and the mixture has thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the chickpeas and diced tomatoes and reduce the heat to low. Cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.
Make the Quinoa
- In the meantime, heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the quinoa and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until the quinoa is browning, 2 minutes. Add 1 1⁄4 cups water and bring the mixture to boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to simmer and cook until the quinoa is tender and the water is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Stir in the raisins.
Bring It All Together
- Fluff the quinoa with a fork and evenly divide it between two bowls or plates. Top with the root vegetable tagine and garnish with fresh parsley to serve!