Root Vegetable Tagine with Chickpeas & Couscous
- Large pan
- Small pot
1 tbsp. moroccan spice mix (cumin, ginger, coriander, cinamon, tumeric)
To taste salt & pepper
3 cups water
3/4 cup couscousShop this recipe
Prepare the Ingredients
- Rinse the carrots, sweet potato, turnip and parsley. Rinse the chickpeas in a colander and set aside.
- Mince the garlic and ginger, and dice the onion. Remove the ends of the carrots, sweet potato and turnip, and cut away any blemishes with a knife.
- Dice the sweet potato, turnip and carrots by first cutting them in half lengthwise, then cutting those halves intro strips, and finally dicing the strips into ½-inch pieces.
Cook the Tagine
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until softened, about 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, and salt and pepper to taste. Add the Moroccan spice and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the carrots, sweet potato, turnip, diced tomatoes and 1 ½ cups of water and bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer until the veggies are tender and the mixture has thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the chickpeas and diced tomatoes and reduce the heat to low. Cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.
Make the Couscous
- While the tagine is cooking, bring ¾ cup water and a pinch of salt to boil in a small pot. Add the couscous, stir, cover with a lid, and remove from heat.
- Let the couscous steam for 5 minutes or until the water is absorbed.
Bring It All Together
- Chop the parsley. Lightly fluff the couscous with a fork and divide evenly between two bowls. Top the couscous with the root veggie tagine and serve with fresh parsley for garnish!