Quinoa Salad with Roasted Beets & Broccolini in a Citrus Dressing
10-12 baby beets, well washed, trimmed, and halved
1/4 cup fruity olive oil
1/4 cup fresh squeezed grapefruit (or orange) juice
2 teaspoons tamari soy sauce
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar or rice vinegar
1 bunch broccolini, washed and cut into bite-sized pieces
0 extra virgin olive oil
0 sea salt and ground pepper, to tasteShop this recipe
1. Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
2. While the quinoa is cooking, roast the beets in a medium size roasting pan, by combining the beets with a drizzle of olive oil and sprinkle of sea salt. Place the pan in the center of the oven and roast until the beets are tender (roughly 25-30 minutes). Remove the beets from the hot pan and set them aside to cool.
3. To make the dressing, combine the olive oil, grapefruit juice, soy/tamari sauce, vinegar, and agave/honey in a glass measuring cup and whisk. Set aside.
4. Combine the warm, cooked quinoa in a mixing bowl with the chick peas and broccolini. Pour in the salad dressing and toss lightly. Season with sea salt and pepper, to taste.
5. Gently add in the cut up roasted beets and fresh orange pieces. Do not over mix or your entire salad will turn beet red. I think it's more attractive to keep the staining to a minimum.
6. Serve with a sprinkle of fresh goat cheese, or slivered almonds, if desired.