Quinoa Crusted Red Onion Rings
Looking for dipping sauce? Try blending Vegenaise with avocado, garlic and lemon for a creamy green dip.
0.66 cups flour of your choice (jamie uses whole grain brown rice flour)
2 tablespoons arrowroot flour (or cornstarch)
0.25 cup unsweetened soy milk beverage
0.25 cup water
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon curry powder (optional)
1 teaspoon cayenne (optional)Shop this recipe
1. Preheat oven to 425F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Slice onion into rings, approximately 3/4-inch thick.
3. In a bowl, whisk together batter ingredients: flour, arrowroot flour, soy milk, salt and water.
4. In another bowl, whisk together quinoa coating ingredients: puffed quinoa, panko and spices. Using your hands, dip an onion ring into batter, making sure to coat all sides.
5. Transfer ring to coating mixture and sprinkle all over. Your hands will get sticky (that's part of the fun!), simply rinse and dry, and start again.
6. Place onion rings on baking sheet and repeat for the remaining rings.
7. Bake for 18 minutes, flipping once after 10 minutes. Feel free to broil them for a minute or two at the end to crisp.