Pumpkin & Chard Chili
This Pumpkin & Chard Chili by blogger Grace Dickinson is a great way to use up your squash during squash season. This seasonal ingredient provides a creamy heartiness while the chili is loaded with spices and complimented by the earthy flavour of the chard. Try using other squash varieties if you don’t have access to pumpkin!
1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup water
To taste salt & pepperShop this recipe
1. Chop the onions, mince the garlic, dice the red peppers and porobello mushrooms. Tear the chard into small 1-inch pieces.
2. Heat oil in a large pot. Add onions and red pepper, and sauté for a few minutes. Stir in the minced garlic and sauté for another minute.
3. Add the portobello mushrooms. Continue to cook until the onions are translucent and the mushrooms are nearly tender.
4. Add 1 tablespoon red wine to the pot. Add the water, veggie bouillon cube, black beans, pinto beans, diced tomatoes and pumpkin purée.
5. Stir in the chili powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, and ketchup.
6. Bring the contents of the pot to a low simmer, and let cook for 45 minutes, or until mixture reaches a creamy thickness.
7. Add chard, and cook until wilted and tender, about 10 minutes. Adjust salt and pepper, and add hot sauce, if desired.
Chef's Note: this chili is great on its own, garnished with sliced avocado and cilantro, or served with a side of rice or cornbread.