Pecan Crusted Trout on Lemon-Braised Chard & Lentils
- Small bowl
- Large pan
- Large bowl
3/4 cup dried green lentils
1 1/2 cups water
to taste salt & pepper
1/4 cup ontario maple pecansShop this recipe
Prepare the Ingredients
• Rinse and drain the lentils in a fine sieve.
• Rinse and roughly chop the parsley and chard.
• Dice the onion and mince the garlic.
• Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice into a small bowl, removing any seeds.
Braise the Lentils & Veggies
• Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
• Add the garlic, onion, lentils, chard, lemon juice and water. Season with salt and pepper to taste and stir.
• Let the mixture simmer until the lentils are tender and the chard is wilted, about 10-15 minutes.
• Remove from heat, cover, and set aside.
Bread the Trout
• Crack the egg into a large bowl. Whisk with a fork.
• Crush the pecans with the broad side of a knife and add them to a plate with the panko/breadcrumbs.
• Add the trout to the bowl with the egg and toss to thoroughly coat. Transfer the trout to the plate with the pecan-breadcrumb mixture and flip to fully coat.
Cook the Trout
• Heat 2 tbsp. olive oil in the same large pan used earlier over medium heat.
• Add the trout, skin-side up and cook until the fish is cooked through and the skin flakes easily with a fork, about 5-6 minutes.
Bring It All Together
• Evenly divide the lentil and veggie mixture between two plates.
• Cut the trout into two pieces and place it on top.
• Top with fresh parsley to serve!