Salmorejo is like gazpacho but thicker and creamier. It is enjoyed on hot summer days in Spain. In this recipe, we chose to use both fresh peppers and tomatoes, blended with garlic, shallots, stale bread, extra virgin olive oil, and sherry vinegar. Let us know if you make the dish and tag us at #FreshCityCooks if you do
1 cup day old breadShop this recipe
- 1 cup day-old bread, plus more for garnish
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 small shallot
- 2 large ripe tomatoes
- 2 sweet bell peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 boiled egg, chopped
- 50g Pancetta (cooked) or Serrano ham, chopped
- ½ cup sweet bell pepper, finely sliced
1. Rip the bread into pieces and soak in 100 ml of water. Set aside.
2. Peel and roughly chop the garlic and shallot.
3. Deseed and roughly chop the sweet bell peppers.
4. Remove the hard core of the tomato and roughly chop.
5. Add the soaked bread - including water - to the blender.
6. Add the garlic, shallot, bell peppers, and tomato.
7. Place the lid on the blender and give the blender a whirl, beginning low and speeding up too high.
8. Blend for 1 minute. Bring the setting to low and add in the sherry vinegar, salt, and olive oil.
9. Re-lid and give the soup another blitz from low to high.
10. Turn the blender off and pour the soup into bowls. Taste, and add more salt as needed.
11. Top with extra crusty bread, chopped red pepper, egg crumbles, and pancetta or serrano ham.
TIP: The red pepper adds extra sweetness along with your daily vitamin C requirements. Did you know that a red bell pepper has more than 253% of your daily Vitamin C needs? And guess what! The go-to fruit for vitamin C - the orange - only has 88% of your daily need! Please, go and enjoy a refreshing cold soup and why not check out more fun facts about the bell pepper here.