Organic Kung Pao Chicken
Organic Kung Pao Chicken
The only meal you need to eat this winter. Spice up your life with our twist on this Chinese take-out staple.
The gingery, garlicky, and punchy flavours are carried through the organic chicken, fresh greens, and pillowy white rice. This meal is sure to wake you up and keep you warm all winter long.
1 organic kung pao chicken with bell pepper & greensShop this recipe
This Meal Kit comes with everything you need to make a healthy #dairy-free, and #glutenfree meal for 2 people! This recipe uses organically grown and locally sourced produce. We assume you have basic kitchen tools, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Please note that allergy preferences and substitutions cannot be accommodated.
- 3/4 cup white rice
- 1 ¼ cups + ¼ cup water
- 1 garlic clove
- ½-inch piece of ginger
- 1 bell pepper (any colour)
- 1 cup greens (Brussels sprouts or broccoli)
- 250g boneless chicken breast(s)
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- ¼ cup Fresh City Sweet Chili Sauce
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. cashews
- 1 tsp. chili flakes
Make the Rice
- Rinse the rice in a fine sieve and add it to a small pot with 1 ¼ cups water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer to cook, covered, until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed, about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Set aside.
Prepare the Ingredients
- In the meantime, mince the garlic and ginger
- Rinse and dice the bell pepper
- Wash and cut greens into bite size pieces. If using broccoli, chop into florets. If using Brussel sprouts, cut stems off, peel off the first leafy layer and discard. Cut Brussel sprouts into halves.
- Cut the chicken breast(s) into 1-inch cubes.
Mix the Sweet Chili Sauce
- In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup water, cornstarch, Fresh City's Sweet Chili Sauce, garlic and ginger
- Season with salt and pepper and whisk with a fork to combine
Cook the Chicken & Veggies
- Heat 2 tbsp. olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken and cook, flipping occasionally, until cooked through, about 6-7 minutes. The chicken is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F and shows no signs of pink.
- Add the bell peppers, greens, cashews, and crushed chili peppers (if desired) to the pan. Cook until the veggies are tender, about 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in the sauce and cook until the liquid has thickened slightly, about another 3-4 minutes.
Bring it All Together
- Divide the rice evenly between two plates or bowls.
- Top with some of the chicken and veggie mixture.
- Serve and enjoy!