Organic Cottage Pie
Organic Cottage Pie
The most flavorful and hearty meal you've ever made.
Granted we would eat pretty much anything topped with mashed potatoes, but our Organic Farm Fresh Cottage Pie is bolstered by our organic Ontario beef from The Healthy Butcher. This cottage pie stands on its own as one of the best dishes to have on a cold winter's night.
1 organic farm fresh cottage pieShop this recipe
This Meal Kit comes with everything you need to make a healthy #glutenfree, and #nutfree meal for 2 people! This recipe uses organically grown and locally sourced produce. We assume you have basic kitchen tools, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Please note that allergy preferences and substitutions cannot be accommodated.
- Oven-safe skillet
- Medium pot
- Medium bowl
- 1.5 lbs potatoes
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery stalk
- 1/4 lb. onion
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 8 oz ground beef
- 1 bouillon cube
- 1 cup green peas
- 2 tsp. Fresh City’s Tuscan Mix
Preheat Oven and Prepare Ingredients
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F
- Peel and quarter the potatoes
- Wash carrot and celery stalks
- Chop onion, carrots, and celery into pea-size pieces
Boil the Potatoes
- Add potatoes to a medium pot of cold water and bring to a boil
- Add 1/2 tsp. of salt. Reduce to medium heat and cook until tender, 10-15 minutes
- Drain the potatoes, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water in a small bowl
- Return the potatoes to the pot and cook over low heat for a minute to remove excess water
- Mash with a fork, or a potato masher, adding 1/4 cup cooking water along with 1.5 tbsp butter and 1/4 cup yogurt
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Beat with a wooden spoon until fluffy
Prepare the Vegetables and Beef
- Heat 1 tbsp. of olive oil in an oven-safe skillet over medium-low heat
- Once hot, add the onion, carrots and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 15 minutes
- Increase the heat to medium and add the ground beef
- Cook the ground beef for about 10 minutes, stirring and breaking it up with a wooden spoon, stirring for even coloration
- While beef is cooking, mix the reserved 1/4 cup of cooking water with bouillon cube. Whisk until well mixed
- Add the stock, green peas, Fresh City Tuscan Spice Mix, and pepper
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Allow the meat to cool slightly
- Spread the meat and vegetables evenly along the bottom of the oven-safe skillet
- Spread the mashed potatoes over the top
- Cut the remaining 1/2 tbsp. butter into small pieces and scatter over the top
Bring it All Together
- Bake in preheated oven until browned and heated all the way through, 30-35 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.
- Serve & Enjoy!