1/4 teaspoon pepperShop this recipe
This year, we're lucky to have been introduced to Mama Snider's Brisket recipe by our Chief Operating Officer (thank you Abra!). This recipe is simple but in order to get the most flavourful melt-in-your-mouth brisket make sure to start prepping 2 days ahead of serving. Pair it with mashed potatoes, potato kugel, or roasted root veggies for the perfect holiday feast.
- 3 onions
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup mustard
- 3 tbsp. brown sugar
- 3-5 lbs brisket
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice the onions and crush the garlic.
- Lay the onions out on the bottom of a large oven-safe pan.
- In a medium bowl, thoroughly combine the crushed garlic, salt, pepper, ketchup, mustard, and brown sugar.
- Place the brisket, fat-side up on top of the onions and cover the entire brisket with the sauce. No need to add any additional liquid.
- Place the brisket in the fridge for 12-24 hours to marinate.
- Cover the pan/pot with a lid or tinfoil and bake for 3.5 hours*, or until tender. (If you are unsure if the brisket is cooked all the way through, simply check the internal temperature. When the brisket reaches 185F, it is ready to come out of the oven).
- Cool completely, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, scoop and discard the hardened fat that is sitting on top of the sauce and brisket.
- Remove brisket from sauce and slice into 1/4" thick slices. Be sure to slice against the grain!
- Return brisket to the pan (try to keep the pieces in order so it looks nice!) and cover.
- Reheat at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 20-25 minutes, until heated through.
- Spoon sauce over brisket.
* Note: 3.5 hours is for a 5 lb brisket. If you are cooking with a different size brisket, cook time is 40 minutes per lb.