Orange-Black Bean Beef with Asparagus & Bok Choy
10-12 ounces stir-fry beef
1 1/2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
1/2 lb asparagus
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon black bean sauce
1 cup + 2 tbsp waterShop this recipe
1. To marinate the beef: grate ginger into a medium bowl. Add tamari, cornstarch and rice wine vinegar, and stir. Mix in the beef strips and set aside to marinate while you prepare the rice.
2. Rinse the rice in a fine sieve with cold water. Add to a small pot with 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover and reduce heat to simmer. Let cook until tender and all of the water is absorbed, about 10-15 minutes. Set aside.
3. Trim and discard the bottom 1-2 inches of the asparagus stalks. Chop asparagus and bok choy into 2 inch pieces, then rinse well and set aside. Cut the orange in half and juice one half into a small bowl, removing any seeds.
4. Mince the garlic. Heat half the olive oil in large pan over high heat. Add the asparagus, bok choy, and minced garlic. Toss with tongs to combine and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, until the asparagus is bright green but still crisp. Remove the veggies from the pan and set aside.
5. Heat the remaining olive oil in the pan and pour in the beef and marinade. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, until beginning to brown. Add the black bean sauce and orange juice, stir well. Mix in the vegetables and cook for another 1-2 minutes, adding 1-2 tbsp. water to thin out the sauce.
6. Serve immediately on a bed of white rice, garnishing with a slice of orange.