Moroccan Lamb Harira with Carrots & Red Lentils
- Small bowl
- Large pot
- Small pot
2 carrots, loose
1 tbsp. moroccan spice mix (cumin, ginger, coriander, cinnamon, turmeric)
6-8 oz. ground lamb
2 1/2 + 3/4 cups water
to taste salt & pepper
1/2 cup couscousShop this recipe
Prepare the Ingredients
• Rinse and drain the lentils in a sieve.
• Rinse and dice the carrots, parsley, and grape tomatoes.
• Mince the garlic and dice the onion.
• Cut the orange in half and squeeze the juice into a small bowl.
Cook the Lamb
• Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until tender and fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
• Add the Moroccan Spice Mix and stir. Add the lamb and cook until lightly browned, stirring occasionally, about 4-5 minutes.
Make the Harira
• Add the carrots and grape tomatoes to the large pot and stir to incorporate.
• Add 2 ½ cups water, the orange juice, and red lentils. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and give everything another stir.
• Bring the mixture to boil and then reduce the heat to simmer. Cover and cook for 20-25 minutes, until your desired consistency is achieved.
Make the Couscous
• While the Harira is simmering, bring ¾ cups of water and a pinch of salt to boil in a small pot. Add the couscous, stir, cover, and remove from heat.
• Let the couscous steam until the water is absorbed, about 5-7 minutes. Fluff the couscous with a fork.
Bring It All Together
• Evenly divide the couscous between two bowls.
• Top with the Moroccan Lamb Harira and garnish with fresh parsley to serve!