Maple-Glazed Squash Bowl with Rice & Pomegranate
- Baking sheet
- Large bowl
- Small pot
1½ tsp. fresh city's warming spice mix (cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, turmeric, cane sugar)
To taste salt & pepper
1½ cups water
½ cup blueberries
2 tbsp. lactose-free parmesan, shredded, 1/2 cup (60g)
¼ cup fresh city's lemon maple dressing (maple syrup, olive oil, lemon juice, maple mustard, apple cider vinegar, sea salt)Shop this recipe
Roast the Squash
• Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
• Trim away the ends of the squash and peel the skin.
• Cut the squash in half lengthwise, and scoop out the seeds with a spoon.
• Cut the squash into ½-inch thick slices and then into cubes. Add them to a large bowl with 2 tbsp. olive oil, the Warming Spice Mix, and salt and pepper to taste.
• Toss to coat and pour onto a baking sheet. Roast in the oven until fork-tender, about 25-30 minutes.
Make the Rice
• While the squash is roasting, rinse the rice in a fine sieve under cold water and add it to a small pot with 1¼ cups water and bring to boil.
• Once boiling, reduce the heat to simmer and cook, covered, until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed, about 10-15 minutes.
Prepare the Remaining Ingredients
• Rinse the kale and remove the leaves from the stem. Slice the leaves into ribbons.
• Mince the garlic.
• If using blueberries, rinse them.
• Add the kale to the same bowl used earlier for the squash. Drizzle with 1 tbsp. olive oil and the minced garlic. Using your hands, lightly massage the kale for about 1 minute.
• Roughly chop the walnuts and grate the Parmesan, if not pre-shredded.
Bring It All Together
• Evenly divide the rice between two bowls or plates.
• Top with kale, roasted squash, and blueberries (or dried cranberries).
• Drizzle with the Lemon-Maple Dressing and sprinkle with Parmesan and walnuts to serve!