Lentil & Mushroom Sloppy Joes
- Medium pot
- Large pan
4 cups water
A pinch saltShop this recipe
Preheat the Oven & Prepare the Ingredients
• Preheat the oven to 325ºF.
• Roughly dice the onion and mince the garlic.
• Wipe and thinly slice the mushrooms.
• Rinse and dice the tomatoes.
• Rinse the kale and remove the leaves from the stem.
Cook the Lentils
• Bring a medium pot with 4 cups water, lentils and a pinch of salt to boil.
• Once boiling, reduce heat to simmer and cook, covered,
until the lentils are tender, 15-20 minutes.
Make the Sloppy Joe Mix
• In the meantime, heat 2 tbsp. olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
• Add the onion and cook until tender and fragrant, 3-5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about another 2-3 minutes.
• Reduce the heat to medium-low.
• Once the lentils are fully cooked, drain the excess liquid in a colander in the sink and add the lentils to the pan.
• Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, Italian seasoning and mushrooms. Cook for another 5-6 minutes.
Bring It All Together
• Slice the buns in half and place directly on the oven rack, flat-side down. Toast until golden-brown, about 2 minutes.
• Place 1 kale leaf on the bottom half of each bun.
• Spoon some of the Sloppy Joe mix on top and add the top half of the bun to complete the sandwich.
• Repeat, serve and enjoy!
Tips for Leftover Ingredients:
• Seal and store the lentils in a dry place, and use them in future recipes!
• The extra kale can be used in a side salad or frozen to be used later in soups, stews and/or smoothies. We suggest a soup, using the additional tomato paste!