Lentil Meatballs & Spaghetti Squash Pasta
Spaghetti squash provides the noodle texture you crave while being a healthier alternative to pasta. This Lentil Meatballs & Spaghetti Squash Pasta is a vegetarian and gluten-free version of the standard spaghetti and meatballs, and is packed with flavour and an excellent source of nutrients.
2 vine tomatoes
1/3 cup red & white quinoa macaroni
1/3 cup gluten free bread crumbs
3 sun-dried tomatoes
2 tablespoons lactose-free parmesan, old style
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 leaves living basil
To taste salt & pepperShop this recipe
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Cut squash in half lengthwise and scrape out seeds. Brush flesh with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place squash halves cut-side up on a baking sheet and roast until fork tender, about 40 minutes. Once cooled, scrape out the flesh and divide between two bowls.
2. In the meantime, slice tomatoes in half. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Place on a baking sheet cut-side up and sprinkle with thyme. Roast for 30 minutes.
3. Combine quinoa and red lentils in a pot with 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to boil, cover, and reduce to simmer. Cook until the water is absorbed, about 10-15 minutes.
4. Shred the parmesan and dice the onion. Combine in a blender or food processor with 1 garlic clove, breadcrumbs, sun-dried tomatoes, basil, egg, 1 tablespoon oil and lentil/quinoa mixture. The mixture should be slightly coarse but sticky enough to form clusters. If too dry, add water, 1 tablespoon at a time. Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes.
5. Form mixture into 1-inch balls and add to the baking sheet with the tomatoes (not touching). Bake for 7-8 minutes, flip, and bake for another 7-8 minutes.
6. Once tomatoes have cooked, blend in a food processor or blender. To serve, pour roasted tomato sauce over spaghetti squash noodles and top with meatballs.