Lentil Joe Sweet Potatoes with Celery & Bell Pepper
- Baking sheet
- Aluminum foil
- Large pan
to taste salt & pepper
3/4 cup bbq sauce (tomato sauce, apple cider vinegar, tamari, ketchup, paprika, onion powder, cumin, cayenne pepper)
2 waterShop this recipe
Bake the Sweet Potatoes
• Preheat the oven to 400ºF and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
• Rinse and scrub the sweet potatoes and poke them all over with a fork. Cut them in half lengthwise and rub them all over with 2 tbsp. olive oil.
• Season with salt and pepper to taste and place them, cut-side down, on the baking sheet.
• Bake in the oven until fork-tender, about 30 minutes. Remove and let cool slightly.
Prepare the Remaining Ingredients
• While the sweet potatoes are baking, dice the shallot and mince the garlic.
• Rinse and dice the celery and bell pepper.
• Peel, pit and slice the avocado.
• Rinse the lentils in a fine sieve.
Make the Sloppy Lentils
• Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
• Add the garlic and shallot and cook until tender and fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
• Stir in the celery, bell pepper, lentils, BBQ sauce, and water. Season with salt and pepper to taste and stir.
• Bring the mixture to simmer, cover and cook until the liquid is mostly absorbed, about 10-15 minutes. Stir the mixture occasionally and add a bit of water if the pan becomes dry.
Bring It All Together
• Use a fork to scoop out most of the sweet potato flesh, leaving about ½-inch of flesh inside the sweet potato skin. Transfer the scooped out sweet potato flesh to the pan with the lentils and stir to incorporate.
• Evenly divide the sweet potato skins between two plates and spoon the sloppy lentil mixture inside. Top
with avocado slices to serve!