There is nothing better than a warm scone out of the oven! These Lemon Thyme scones are quick to make and can be easily stored in the freezer. Simply bake them from frozen for a a sweet addition to your weekend brunch or enjoy for quick morning treat!
2 cups flour, all purpose (unbleached), fresh city jar
1/2 cup, separated into 1/4 white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt, kosher
5, frozen and shredded tablespoons butter, 75% grassfed salted
2/3 cup cream, 45%Shop this recipe
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar, 1/4 for mix and 1/4 for glaze
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp Kosher salt
5 tbsp frozen shredded butter
3 tsp fresh thyme
2/3 cup heavy cream
1 large egg
1. Zest lemon and set aside. In a large mxing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
2. Add in the butter and work with your fingertips, quickly mixing in the butter before it melts in a snapping motion. You can also use a pastry cutter.
3. Cut and rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture is pebbly and has no large lumps. Add 1 1/2 tsp of the thyme and 2/3 of the lemon zest into flour mixture.
4. In a seperate mixing bowl, whisk together the cream and the egg. Mix well. Slowly pour the wet mixture into the flour mixture. Fold everything together using a spatula.
5. When dough gathers into a shaggy ball, gently knead the dough by hand or turn it with a rubber spatula 8-10 times.
6. Line a baking sheet (that will fit into the freezer) with parchment paper. Use a penicl and a 6" plate to stencil a large circle onto your parchment paper.
7. Dust the parchment paper with flour and transfer the ball onto the floured surface. Pat into the 6" circle. With a bench scraper or large chef's knife, cut into 8 triangles.
8. Wrap and freeze the scones on the baking sheet. This will cool the butter and make the crumb tender and flaky. When ready to bake, you will not need to defrost.
9. Make the Lemon Thyme Glaze: In a mixing bowl, use a fork to whisk the remaining sugar, zest, thyme, and juice of the lemon together.
10. Bake the scones. Centre a rack in the oven and preheat it to 400° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the scones on the sheet about 1-inch apart. Bake for 20-25 minutes, turning the pan midway.
11. Scones are done when the tops are golden and firmish. Glaze the scones with the lemon-thyme glaze. Serve and enjoy!