Kung Pao Chicken with Brussels Sprouts and Bell Pepper
- Small pot
- Small bowl
- Large pan
1 1/4 cup + 1/4 cup water
To taste salt & pepper
1 pepper, green bell
1/4 cup sweet chili sauce (sesame oil, brown rice vinegar, tamari, coconut palm sugar, chili okazu)
1 tbsp. crushed chili pepper
1 tbsp. sesame seedsShop this recipe
Make the Rice
• Rinse the rice in a fine sieve and add it to a small pot with 1¼ cups water and a pinch of salt. Bring to boil.
• Once boiling, reduce the heat to simmer and cook, covered, until the rice is tender and the water is
absorbed, about 10-15 minutes.
Prepare the Ingredients
• In the meantime, mince the garlic and ginger.
• Rinse and dice the bell pepper and green onions.
• Rinse and quarter the Brussels sprouts.
• Roughly chop the cashews.
• Cut the chicken breast(s) into 1-inch cubes.
Mix the Sweet Chili Sauce
• In a small bowl, combine ¼ cup water, cornstarch, the Sweet Chili Sauce, and the garlic and ginger.
• Season with salt and pepper to taste and whisk with a fork the combine.
Cook the Chicken & Veggies
• Heat 2 tbsp. olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
• Add the chicken and cook, flipping occasionally, until cooked through, about 6-7 minutes. The chicken is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 165ºF and shows no signs of pink.
• Add the bell pepper, Brussels sprouts, cashews, and crushed chili pepper (if desired) to the pan. Cook until the veggies are tender, about 3-4 minutes.
• Stir in the sauce and cook until the liquid has thickened slightly, about another 3-4 minutes.
Bring It All Together
• Divide the rice evenly between two plates or bowls.
• Top with some of the chicken and veggie mixture.
• Sprinkle with green onions and sesame seeds to serve!