Kale & Quinoa Patty Cakes
These Kale & Quinoa Patty Cakes by blogger Martine are a great way to repurpose leftovers if you don’t like eating the same thing twice in one week. The kale adds a pack of nutrients and pairs perfectly with the quinoa. The amaranth is an excellent source of vitamins, minerals, dietary fiber and protein. Try mixing it up by adding different organic vegetables to the patty cake mixture and eat them again and again!
1/3 cup white and red quinoa
1/4 cup amaranth
1/4 cup gluten free bread crumbs
1 tablespoon living basil
1/4 cup dried cranberries
To taste salt & pepperShop this recipe
1. Rinse the quinoa in a fine sieve with cold water, and add it with the amaranth to a medium pot with 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil with a pinch of salt. Once boiling, reduce the heat to simmer and cover the pot. Cook the quinoa and amaranth until tender and all of the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Set aside and let cool.
2. Dice the red and green onion, and shred the cheddar cheese. Chop the basil and thyme. Slice the avocado.
3. Combine the kale, onions, cottage and cheddar cheese, eggs, breadcrumbs, salt, basil, and thyme in a large mixing bowl. Add the cooked quinoa and amaranth. Blend and stir. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or so. Shape mixture into small patty cakes, each about 2-inches wide and 3/4-inch thick.
4. Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Fry about 3 or 4 patty-cakes at a time until golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side. Add oil as needed and be careful when flipping the patty cakes over to the other side.
5. Serve over a bed of fresh spinach with avocado slices and dried cranberries. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy!