Indian-Spiced Lentils with Spinach and Rhubarb
So many rhubarb recipes are sweet and dessert like, It's nice to have this savory use for rhubarb. Rhubarb’s fruity flavor complements the Indian spices, sweet raisins, and velvety spinach in this dish. For a more complete dinner, serve over a cooked whole grain, such as quinoa or brown rice.
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (divided)
2 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
2.5 teaspoons whole cumin seed
1/2 cup golden raisins
1 cup dried brown lentils (rinsed and drained)
3.5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
6 cups baby spinach leaves
1/2 cup cilantro (chopped)Shop this recipe
1. Cut the rhubarb into 1/4-inch slices. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add mustard and cumin seeds. Cover skillet, and cook 2 minutes, or until seeds begin to pop. Cook 1 to 2 minutes more, or until popping stops, shaking skillet often.
2. Remove from heat, stir in ginger and garlic, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cover, and set aside.
3. Heat remaining 1 Tbs. oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and raisins; sauté 10 minutes, or until onions begin to brown.
4. Stir in lentils and 3 cups broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 25 minutes.
5. Stir in rhubarb and remaining 1/2 cup broth; cook 6 minutes. Add spinach, cover, and cook mixture 6 minutes more. Stir mixture to incorporate rhubarb and spinach leaves, then stir in spice mixture. Serve garnished with cilantro.