Healthy 7-Layer Dip
Jessica at Smart Nutrition is all about making smarter, healither choices. Here's why her 7-Layer Dip is the best:
The bean layer: black beans are a great source of fibre, folate, iron, and potassium. Salsa is made up primarily of veggies. When you’re buying salsa, make sure to get one that doesn’t have added sugar.
The creamy layer: instead of sour cream, this recipe uses plain yogurt and cottage cheese. This substitution ups the protein and decreases the fat. As a bonus you get some probiotics in the yogurt!
The guac layer: avocados have monounsaturated fats (i.e.: heart healthy fats) and a good amount of fibre.
The leafy layer: lettuce is a veggies. Veggies are healthy. To make it even healthier, use spinach.
The tomato layer: tomatoes are high in lycopene, a potent antioxidant.
The red pepper layer: red peppers are super high in Vitamin C, which helps your body absorb the iron from the black beans.
The cheese layer: cheese is tasty. That’s a smart reason in and of itself to eat cheese.
1/2 cup salsa mexicana, medium
1-2 roma tomatoes
To serve unsalted yellow tortilla chipsShop this recipe
Shred the lettuce. Dice the tomato and red pepper. Grate the cheddar cheese
1. Shred the lettuce. Dice the tomatoes and red pepper. Grate the cheddar cheese.
2. Mash the black beans and the salsa together. Spread on a serving plate or in a casserole dish.
3. Stir the yogurt, cottage cheese, chill powder, cumin, and oregano together. Spread on top of black bean mixture.
4. Spread the guacamole next.
5. Sprinkle the lettuce. Sprinkle the tomato. Sprinkle the red pepper. Sprinkle the cheddar cheese.
6. Use the pita wedges or tortilla chips to dip!