Halibut with Grapefruit Beurre Blanc
This Epicurious recipe is from Gourmet Magazine, February 2002 and it’s a fantastic winter recipe: ruby red grapefruit adds colour and a delicate zing to this otherwise traditional halibut with butter and shallot. Sautéing the shiitake mushrooms with the endive lends another layer of complexity and texture to the dish; plus, lightly cooking the endive removes the bitter edge it can sometimes have. Feel free to add other mushrooms if you have them, the more the merrier when it comes to mushrooms!
1/4 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
4 (1/2-inch-thick) halibut steaks with skin (1 1/2 lb)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 belgian endives, trimmed and cut crosswise into 1-inch-thick slicesShop this recipe
Make beurre blanc:
1. Finely grate 1 teaspoon zest from a grapefruit. Squeeze 1/2 cup juice from one grapefruit.
Cut peel, including all white pith, from remaining fruit with a sharp paring knife and cut segments free from membranes. Chop enough grapefruit segments to measure 1/2 cup. Reserve 1 cup of remaining whole segments.
2. Boil juice, wine, shallot, and vinegar in a small heavy saucepan until reduced to about 1 tablespoon. Reduce heat to low and whisk in butter 1 piece at a time, lifting pan from heat occasionally to cool sauce and adding each new piece of butter before previous one has melted completely (sauce must not get hot enough to separate).
3. Stir in chopped grapefruit and season with salt and pepper. Keep beurre blanc warm in a metal bowl set over a saucepan of hot water.
Cook fish and vegetables:
1. Preheat oven to 250°F. Pat halibut dry and season with salt and pepper. Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté fish, in batches if necessary, turning over once, until golden brown and just cooked through, about 5 minutes total. Transfer fish to a shallow baking pan and keep warm in oven.
2. Wipe skillet clean and heat remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté mushrooms with salt and pepper to taste, stirring, until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Add endives and sauté, stirring, until leaves are slightly wilted, about 1 minute. Stir in reserved whole grapefruit segments and remove from heat.
3. Serve fish over mushrooms, topped with beurre blanc and zest.