We partnered with our friends from Live Green Toronto and Ocean Wise on February 18th, 2021 for a very delicious virtual event! Our Director of Culinary Design & Innovation and Mabel's co-founder, Lorraine Hawley showed us how to make this fragrant, dairy-free halibut chowder. This recipe is enjoyed perfectly with fresh baguette and a glass of Pinot Grigio.
Download a printable version of this recipe
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons coconut oil, raw extra virgin
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
1 teaspoon hot sauce, organic sriracha
3/4 cup water
1 teaspoon paprika, ground
1 wine, 2018 organic pinot grigioShop this recipe
- Pat dry and season Halibut with salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or other heavy-bottomed pot. Once hot, cook leeks with garlic and ginger until leeks are soft, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic, turmeric, coriander, cardamom and sriracha. Stir for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add potatoes, coconut milk and water.
- Stir and bring to a boil while partly covered - you can taste the liquid for heat at this stage using bread (unless you need the dish to be GF) but do not adjust for salt until fish has been added.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook until potatoes are fork tender, approximately 10 minutes.
- Add Halibut and use ladle to cover fish in liquid; simmer covered for 4 minutes.
- Add celery and simmer for 3 minutes or until fish is flaky.
- Taste for seasoning, add more salt and pepper if needed, sprinkle with paprika. Discard ginger.
- Spritz each bowl with a wedge of lime.
Pro tip: Store your coconut milk in a warm place ahead of use to ensure it will empty easily and you’ll get every last drop!