Grilled Tandoori Chicken Skewers over Herbed Cucumber Rice
1/2 cup mapleton's fat-free plain yogurt
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon garam masala
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
9-12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast
1 mini cucumber
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon saltShop this recipe
1. Prepare the skewers by soaking them in water. Next, rinse the rice in a fine sieve under cold water. Add to a small pot with 1 1/2 cups of water and bring to boil. Once boiling, cover and reduce heat to simmer. Let cook until tender and water is absorbed, about 10-15 minutes. Set aside.
2. In the meantime, prepare the marinade. Mince the garlic and ginger, and juice the lime into a small bowl. Combine the yogurt, oil, lime juice, garlic, ginger, chili powder, garam masala, cumin, turmeric, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
3. Chop the chicken breasts into 3-4 pieces. Add the pieces to the yogurt marinade and toss to coat well. Cover and refrigerate for 25 minutes.
4. Dice the cucumber and cilantro, and slice the green onion. If baking the chicken, preheat oven to 450ºF (see step 5).
5. Thread the chicken onto the skewers. To make the chicken on a grill: preheat grill to medium-high. Grill the chicken for about 10 minutes, then rotate and continue cooking another 10 minutes or so until the chicken is cooked through. To make the chicken in the oven: place the skewers in the oven on an aluminum-lined baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Flip and bake for another 10 minutes. The chicken is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 160ºF and shows no signs of pink.
6. Stir the green onion, cilantro and cucumber into the rice and divide evenly between two plates. Top with the tandoori chicken skewers and serve!