Fesenjan Persian Chicken with Rice, Apple & Walnuts
- Large pan
- Food processor/blender
- Small pot
¼ cup de-shelled walnuts
1 yellow onion (single)
2¼ cups water
1 tbsp. fresh city's warming spice mix (cinnamon, cane sugar, turmeric, ginger, nutmeg)
¼ cup fresh city's lemon-maple dressing (olive oil, maple syrup, maple mustard, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, sea salt)
24-28 oz. boneless, skinless chicken thighs (field gate)
To taste salt & pepper
¼ cup dried cranberriesShop this recipe
Prepare the Ingredients
• Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the walnuts, stirring occasionally, and cook until lightly toasted, 5-6 minutes.
• Rinse and dice the apple and green onion.
• Dice the onion and mince the garlic.
• Transfer the walnuts to a food processor or blender, and pulse until finely ground. Add 1 cup of water, the Warming Spice Mix, and Lemon-Maple Dressing. Blend until smooth.
Pre-Cook the Chicken
• Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in the same large pan over medium-high heat.
• Pat the chicken thighs dry with paper towel and add them to the pan. Season with salt and pepper to taste and cook, flipping occasionally, until golden-brown on all sides, 5-6 minutes.
• Set the chicken aside on a plate.
Simmer the Chicken
• Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in the same large pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until tender and fragrant, 2-3 minutes.
• Add the chicken thighs, dried cranberries, and the blended nut mixture to the pan. Bring to boil.
• Once boiling, reduce the heat to simmer. Cook, covered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Make the Rice
• While the stew simmers, rinse the rice in a fine sieve under cold water and add it to a small pot with 1 ¼ cups water and a pinch of salt. Bring to boil.
• Once boiling, reduce the heat to simmer and cook, covered, until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed, about 10-15 minutes.
Bring It All Together
• Evenly divide the rice between two bowls or plates.
• Top with chicken and garnish with apple and green onion to serve!