Ethiopian Atakilt Wat with Lentils & Toasted Naan
- Large pot
- Large pan
1 1/2 tsp. ethiopian spice mix (turmeric, cumin, fenugreek, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon)
3 cups water
to taste salt & pepper
2 pieces naanShop this recipe
Prepare the Ingredients
• Rinse and scrub the potatoes, and cut them into ½-inch cubes.
• Rinse the carrots and cut them into ¼-inch thick coins.
• Rinse and dice the cabbage.
• Dice the onion. Mince the garlic and ginger.
• Rinse the lentils in a fine sieve. Cut the lime in half.
Make the Atakilt Wat
• Heat 2 tbsp. olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
• Add the onion, garlic, ginger and Ethiopian spice mix, and cook until tender and fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
• Stir in the carrots, potatoes, cabbage, 1 cup of water and salt and pepper to taste.
• Bring to simmer and cook for 10 minutes, stirring halfway through.
• Add the lentils and 2 cups of water. Continue to simmer until the lentils and potatoes are tender,
about another 15 minutes, stirring halfway through.
Toast the Naan
• When the Atakilt Wat is almost ready, heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
• Add a piece of naan and cook until toasted, about 1 minute per side. Repeat with the second piece of naan.
• Cut the naan into wedges, if desired.
Bring It All Together
• Evenly divide the Atakilt Wat between two bowls.
• Squeeze the lime juice on top and serve with toasted naan!